- +Can a third country national become a volunteer in Latvia?
In accordance with the Immigration Law, a third country national may become a volunteer, if he or she does job willingly and without payment by participating in a volunteer programme financed by the European Commission or an international organisation, if such activity is not for profit and implements the goals meeting interests of the society. A volunteer programme may recruit persons aged 18 to 30. This condition does not apply to the volunteer programme financed by the European Commission or pocket money and compensation of expenses of the person. In accordance with the Law on Volunteer Work, volunteer work may be organised by:
1) associations and foundations, including trade unions and their associations;
2) state and local government institutions;
3) political parties and their associations;
4) social companies.
- +How to recruit a third country national as volunteer lecturer at a university?
Lecturer’s work at a university cannot be considered volunteer work, because volunteer work is physical or intellectual work organised and willingly performed by a natural person free of charge for the benefit of the society. Volunteer works cannot be for profit.
- +For how many hours can we employ a third country national – a student, who has obtained a Bachelor or Master degree?
A foreigner who has received a long-stay visa or a temporary residence permit due to full-time studies in an education institution accredited in the Republic of Latvia or due to student exchanges, may be employed by any employer for up to 20 hours per week or 40 hours or week during vacations. A foreigner, who has received
a temporary residence permit as a student of an education institution accredited in the Republic of Latvia mastering a full-time Master or doctoral programme, may be employed without any limitations.
- +How to apply for interpreting services for a third country national, when visiting any institution?
- +Can a third country national, who has divorced a Latvian citizen and is a guardian of children having Latvian citizenship, get a residence permit in Latvia?
Yes, in such a situation the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs applies Sections 9(5)(10) and 23(1)(21) of the Immigration Law – issues a temporary residence permit for a period not exceeding a year with the right to be employed without limitations.
Information for providers